Monday, August 8, 2011

Ila Mae Anderson

Although, I'm almost postive that she will never see this post because she's not a computer savvy granny, I'm still going to gush about my beautiful grandmother, Mrs. Ila Mae Anderson.

Last weekend, Ma turned 80 years old. Her mother, my great-grandma, Ma Pearlie, lived to be almost 101. She always told people that she'd like to live to be 100 if it wouldn't be too much trouble on everybody. Bless her. And she did.

To me, Ma is our family's rock. The finest example of a God fearing, Christian woman. I hope to only be half as wonderful as she is one day. She has taught us so much and raised so many. Not just my mom, aunt & uncle but several other grown adults from the community as she kept children in her home years ago before daycares were daycares.

Then there's us grandkids. We wouldn't trade her for ANYTHING in this world! You see, for me, Ma pretty much raised me when I was little. Once I started MDO, I'd go two days there and three at Ma's. Then school started, and Ma would pick me up afterwards or she'd be the one to come get me if I got sick. Both of my parents worked, my sister was enough older than me that she was several years ahead of me in school and had plans of her own or a job. So in the summers, I stayed at Ma & Pa's house; until I was old enough to stay at home by myself and even then, I spent most days at their house.

We have so many stories that we like to share about our grandparents...so many that we started a book a few years ago just so we'd always have them with us and be able to pass on to our next generations.

She is one-of-a-kind. She's honest and straight forward. She is always doing something of service for others. She is the best seamstress I know of. The most wonderful cook you will find. Answers the phone by saying, "Mmm..Hello?" She has the best sense of humor and laughs often at everything. When she gets really tickled, she gets all red and her eyes start to water and she'll eventually take off her glass to wipe the tears out. She's extremely active, but knows how to and when to take it easy. She is a loving, and faithful wife; takes care of her husband the way a wife should. I truly belive that they are best friends. They've been married 63 years and can sit for the longest time at the dinner table just the two of them and just talk talk talk. (Unless there's a Braves game..and then dinner is promptly wrapped up just in time for the first pitch.)

Now it seems like all birthday cards you get have money in them because people never really seem to know what to get you. Ma's cards, ALWAYS had money in them. When we were little before we could read, that's how we'd know the present we just opened was from Ma & Pa because of the money that fell out! I've saved all those cards, not sure why..but am really glad that I have. Just this past Christmas, she started cookbooks for the granddaughters and I will cherish that for the rest of my life.


When I moved out of my parents house (at age 25), my parents were completely supportive, my grandparents weren't as thrilled about it. They live about 5 minutes from my parents house and I was over there several days a week in and out doing stuff or to just visit. I think they didn't want to see me move 30 minutes in fear that I wouldn't be there as much. And truth be told, I've not been there as much, but we still have our regular phone calls. PHONE CALLS...that's another thing...don't call Ma unless you have some time on your hand, because she Will. Talk. Love her for it.

I'm very close with both of my grandparents but especially with Ma. She holds a very huge piece of my heart & always will. I think of her whenever I hear the passage from Proverbs about a virtuous woman's worth being far above rubies. Truer words never spoken. I am convinced there is a beautiful mansion in heaven with her and Pa's name on it....and it has a large, abundant vegetable garden. : ) However, my selfish side will tell you that I want them with me here on this Earth for as long as I am here. I cannot imagine my life without them. I know I probably shouldn't say that but as Ma says,  "Well, some people are just like that."

(bet you'll never guess which one's her...hahahaahaaa)

Love you Ma! Happy 80th!!

No comments:

Post a Comment