Friday, July 8, 2011

Show Us Your Life Fridays - Side Dish Recipes!!

Today on Kelly's Korner for SUYL it's Side Dish Recipes! I love to cook and bake, but it's not so easy cooking for one. So I pretty much pump myself up for a certain meal or dish a week in advance that way I'm absolutely craving it making it worth my while to eat on it for a week or until it's gone.

But when it comes time to make a dish to take to a family or church dinner, I never have to worry about leftovers. Because IF I come home with any, I can take it to work the next day and those men take care of it. Sometimes, they even wash my dish and bring it back to me sparkly clean. : ) I heart those men.

Since it's Summer, this is a GREAT opportunity to share a recipe you can make with some garden veggies that should be starting to come in. My personal favorite in the Summer...sqaush. Mmmmm...mmmmm!

My cousin Elizabeth made this last Summer and it was so delicious I made her fork over the recipe. Hence, I am totally giving her credit for this one!

Squash Casserole
4 c sliced yellow sqash
35 Ritz crackers crushed
1 c shredded Cheddar cheese
2 eggs beaten
3/4 c milk
1/4c butter, melted
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
2 tbsp butter

Preheat oven to 400. Cook squash until tender & drain well. Mix crackers & cheese. Stir half into squash. In a small bowl, mix eggs & milk. Add to squash mixture. Stir in melted butter, salt & pepper. Spread into a greased 13x9 baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cracker / cheese mixture and dot with 2 tbsp butter. Bake approximately 25 minutes.
 While we're talking about food...I went grocery shopping after work. I've decided I have 3 types of grocery buying strategies. 1. The ones when I'm out of EVERYTHING. 2. The ones when I need to buy just to make certain dishes for family or church meals or if I'm having company over. 3. The ones when I just need to buy little things for lunches and breakfasts. Today was a #3 kind of day.

As I was standing in the checkout looking in my cart, I thought..wow, it looks like I'm a pregnant woman with out of control dairy cravings. String cheese, cottage cheese, Laughing Cow cheese, and don't forget the Cheese Whiz (that's for a recipe...NOT for lunch or breakfast..eeww). And a couple other items. But the cheese purchases today were almost out of control!

And proof that I am still painting my little heart away..... 


 I can't say who ordered this one because it was a Secret Sister gift. And well, that would pretty much disrupt the whole "Secret" portion of the program, now wouldn't it?


 Happy Friday Y'all!

2 comments:

  1. I love Laughing Cow Blue Cheese! It's so good on wheat crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, my recipe is famous. You can also add a pinch of garlic if you are a garlic freak. Like me.

    ReplyDelete