Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

I could write forever & a day about how important my mom is to me. Not only her, but my grandmother. Not only the two of them but also my 7 aunts and multiple other ladies who have treated me like their own daughter or granddaughter for many years now. They all play such a significant role in my life and for that I am forever thankful. Below are just a few of my faves of the past couple of years...





I can't help but think of one of my favorite Eric Church songs...yes I can make an Eric Church reference out of just about anything...it's called "Those I've Loved". Click here to listen! So much of it is true to my very own life and I will save that for another day. But for today, I'm thankful for my mom, Ma, my aunts, Ms. Burton, my best friends' moms, ladies from our church and all the others who have influenced my life beyond measure!!

 I also remember my grandmother on the Flatt side, Mildred Flatt, or simply Mammy. I miss her and Papa everyday and think of them everyday. My dad's sermon on Mother's Day Sunday always pulls on the heartstrings because he always brings her up.

She was a very special lady who was faithful, meek, had the best laugh, always wanted to fix you something to eat, had the most beautiful flower beds I've ever seen, would play with my hair everytime I sat in front of her (I miss that dearly), would sit in the pew behind us at church and after most services when I turned around she would slide some money in my hand...I never knew why, but she did and would tell me not to tell anyone, she was strong and she was a fighter. So many times we thought she would soon be leaving us and she'd fight her way back. I know prayer had much to do with it also.

Then, the time came when she did leave us, it was as if she knew it was her time, because she didn't put up a fight that time. She'd always pat your hand or pat your leg if she was sitting beside or holding a baby and that's one the last memories I have of her. I stood beside her bed in that hospital room and took her hand and patted it just like she had mine for all those years.

I miss her and I assume I always will. But we carry her love and her influence and her faith with us everyday....she lives on.

So now that I sit here with tears streaming down my face, and cake baking in the oven for Mother's Day lunch tomorrow...all I can think of to wrap this is up is: Happy Mother's Day to all Moms, Grandmas, Aunts, Sisters, Friends, & Co-Workers out there! I love you all and am honored to have each of you in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment